Skip to content | Thursday, 24-Apr-2014 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A

Devon Home Choice

Listen to this page

Rent arrears

Rent arrears - Dont leave it until its too late. There is help you can get now.

If you are struggling to pay your rent or are at risk of losing your home because you owe your landlord rent, you need to take action. Don't ignore the problem or you could be evicted.

Keep making payments if you can and talk to your landlord as soon as possible.

Shelter provides a free, national telephone advice line staffed by trained housing advisers. Ring 0808 800 4444

Their advisers can give you immediate, practical assistance, explain your rights, offer advice and guidance and suggest specialist or local support services to help you longer term.

You can also obtain information online   

County Court Hearing?

Always attend any court hearings yourself, with an adviser if possible. Court proceedings do not mean that you will automatically lose your home. The court process acts as a final check to make sure repossession is the last resort.

You can get free legal advice and representation in court on the day of your hearing under the Housing Possession Court Duty scheme. The scheme can be a source of last minute help if you havent received legal advice before the hearing. It is provided in county courts in England and Wales.

You can get help, whatever your financial situation. The scheme provides you with a specialist adviser on the day of your hearing who can:

  • give you free legal advice on your case
  • represent you at the hearing
  • help you explain to the judge why you havent made your mortgage or rent payments
  • help you negotiate an arrangement with your mortgage lender or landlord to pay off your debts

Contact information about the scheme

To find out more about the scheme in your local area, contact your local council or the court where your case is being heard. Youll find contact information for the court on the paperwork you should have received for your case.

If a duty scheme is not available in your area, there may be other advice services that can help you. Check with the court where your case is being heard, or contact Community Legal Advice 

Housing Options & Advice

Your local council can provide advice on a range of housing options and can assist you if you become or are in danger of losing your home (please click on the relevant link below).

East Devon District Council              01392 517469   

Exeter City Council                          01392 265726  

Mid Devon District Council              01884 234388 / 234353  

North Devon District Council           01271 388870  

Plymouth City Council                      01752 305950  

South Hams District Council             01803 861234  

Teignbridge District Council              01626 361101  

Torbay Council                                 01803 208723  

Torridge District Council                   01237 428849  

West Devon Borough Council           01822 813600

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy